Search

Custom Search

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Rain collection: Making Every Drop Count

     Last night Houston, Texas got the first storm it's seen in awhile.  In celebration I decided to take a post from another blog I manage and share it with everybody here on Good Time Gardening.

     Right now the vast majority of Texas is in what is labeled an "exceptional" drought.  "Really fucking bad" drought would be more accurate.  Here in Houston we've just been hit with water restrictions.  Outdoor watering is now limited to two days a week.  And, honestly, I'm surprised it took so long.  We've only received 40% of our normal rainfall since January.  I can't even remember the last time it rained, and I'll probably be shocked the next time it does.  So, can you take advantage of the rain when it does occur without investing a lot of money in a rain harvesting system?  Sure can.

  
Rain harvesting made easy
     The picture above shows just how easy it is to collect rain.  The spot where the awning meets the house is a low spot, so more water drains at that corner than anywhere else.  I threw a container in the spot where the water flows and that's about it.  This container is around 75 gallons and it fills up in a few minutes when there is a decent rain.  When it gets full I take the hose connected to a water pump inside the yellow container and run it to the blue 50 gallon drum on the left so I can keep collecting water.  Very little money invested in this rain collection system.
     Collecting this much rain isn't going to do your lawn any good.  It'd last a day and you'd be dry again.  But it'll last a good while if you just water potted plants or a small garden with it.  I use the rain water I collect to top off the aquaponic systems I have in the backyard.  All I need is about 10 gallons a week for a growing area of 4' x 8'.  That's pretty damn water efficient for a gardening system.  In a traditional soil garden I'd probably go through that in a day, and everything would be dry the next.  I wouldn't drink the water unless I absolutely had to.  But if I needed to, I have some purification tabs that will make the water safe to drink in about 30 minutes.
     Collecting rain water in containers this size isn't going to save your lawn.  It may not even save your soil garden if it's a large garden.  But in certain applications it makes all the difference.  Besides, any water you collect and use is water that you don't have to pay for.  And I'd say that makes it worth it in and of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment